Thursday, July 12, 2012

Backyard Summertime Pics


This is my most favorite flower garden in the back yard!  It is very honey bee friendly, filled with Lavender, Cone Flowers, Shasta Daisies, Bee Balm, Roses, Cosmos, Zinnias, Blue Beards, Black Eyed Susan's and much more!

 On the east side of the sandbox for the kids is our watermelon and sunflower patch!  We are also excited to to have a few Gala apples on our tree this year too!


 Basil around the bird bath, Honey Crisp apple tree in the center and cantaloupe next to the chicken coop!



 My tomatoes are doing well!  We are eating Early Girls, Sun Sugar and Brandywine!


 Early Girl Tomato



 Sun Sugar Tomatoes


 I planted the 3 sisters this year.  Everything seems to be doing great!  As long as I can keep a handle on the squash bugs!  I have planted here corn, then beans to grow up the corn and then zucchini, spaghetti squash and butternut squash planted around those.  We have already harvested 1/2 a dozen zucchini!


 A picture of my herb garden.  Filled with basil, rosemary, tarragon, oregano, thyme, cilantro, parsely, dill, stevia, lemon verbena and shallots!



 Cucumbers!


 Seedless Red Flame Grapes!


 We have also been harvesting carrots, leeks and green onions too!


 Potatoes will soon be ready to harvest as soon as the tops start to die back more.


 Onions


 Red Bell peppers


 Jalapeno peppers

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so yummy....our garden is a bit behind but we should have veggies to eat any day! I'm dreaming of heirloom tomatoes
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you like doing the 3 sisters? Was it hard to find your squash? Hard to get to your beans or corn? Did you just plant a bean plant next to each corn stalk? did you have to encourage them to climb or did they do that on their own? I'm thinking about how I'm going to lay my garden out this year. I thought about trellising my vining squash on something like this: http://pinterest.com/pin/56787645271668749/ between my beds. Of course with varieties like butternut and spaghetti, I won't be trying to harvest until the end of the season, so maybe it's not a big deal. And they will block the light for any weeds that might try to come through...Maybe even offer a little extra stability for the corn stalk bases on windy days? We did have a few get blown over last summer with all those gale force winds we had!

    ReplyDelete