Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Power Protein Packed Garden Burger

Garden Burger

I love a good burger!  When  I stopped eating red meat I started looking for some good vegetarian alternatives.  This recipe is good, however I am still on that journey.  Give a try and tell me what you think.  It's packed full of really good for you ingredients, like the super food quinoa, walnuts, lentils and lots of veggies!

1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup dried green lentils
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg
1 (15 oz.) can garbonzo beans
2 stalks finely chopped celery
1 onion finely chopped onion
1 finely chopped red or green bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine quinoa, lentils and water in a rice cooker or in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender.  Remove from heat and set aside.  
 Preheat oven to 350` and spray a baking sheet with pam. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl mixing with hands, while breaking up the beans.  Form into 8 patties (about 1/2 cup each).  Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  Serve with whole grain buns, purple onions, red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and whatever else you want to go with it!  Recipe inspired by 365 Quinoa cookbook.

2 comments:

  1. We love quinoa- I've seen a few burger recipes floating around and I'm excited to try one!
    I am following your blog- thanks for sharing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a way cool blog, Emily! I can't believe how much you have gotten into being self-sufficient~ It's very inspiring to see how hard you are working at becoming a master at the things you are pursuing! Keep up the great work! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete