Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Spring Time in the Vegetable Garden (2013)


 As my apple trees (Gala and Honey-crisp) continue to grow I am using the sunny places to grow Sunflowers, Gourds, Pumpkins, Watermelon, Onions, Parsley, Stevia and Lemon Verbena.  Last year I grew a ton of tomatoes in this space and unfortunately they over grew in the grassy area and killed it off on the corner.  We'll be replacing it soon!  Notice I have also put down compost in all my backyard beds.  I do not plant directly in compost, rather I will make a shallow dip and plant it in the soil.  Once the seed or plant gets a little bigger I will bring the compost closer to base of the plant.   

 This is a picture of my culinary herb garden filled with Arp Rosemary, English and Lemon Thyme, Greek Oregano, French Tarragon, Garlic, Parsley, Cilantro, Chamomile and Dill.  On the far right I have an All-In-One Almond tree and a Gooseberry bush just behind that. 

 The east side of the house doesn't get as much sun, about 6 hours total.  Here I grow Elderberries, Currants and more Garlic and Leafy greens.

 This is my garden patch where I am growing Seascape Strawberries, more Stevia, Sweet Basil, Chives and Heirloom Peppers like Red Lipstick, Jalapeno, Pablano, Purple Beauty, Anaheim, Romanian Rainbow and Cayenne. 

 This year, next to my herb garden I have planted Swiss Chard, Red Russian Kale, and Beets.  Last year I planted cucumbers.  It's important to keep the crops rotated to avoid disease and other pest problems.

 Around my Early Elberta peach tree I have growing Scallions.  This is their second growing season so they are getting ready to go to seed.  It's always a good idea to grow garlic or some type of onion around the peach tree to keep the peach tree borers away.  Right in front is my cilantro I grew from last fall.  Below the stone border I have growing volunteer chamomile.

  In my garden boxes I am growing Butternut Squash, Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini.  Just waiting for them to germinate any day now!  In the next box I have 18 different kinds of Tomatoes, like Amish Paste (good for making tomato sauce), Abraham Lincoln (good for canning), Sudduth's Brandywine, Yellow Brandywine, Black Zebra, Green Zebra, Purple Cherokee, Purple Passion, Jane Flamme, Pineapple, and many more.

This box is a little difficult to see, but inside I have planted an outside border of Scarlet Nante Carrots, Beets on the inside and Celery down the center.  You can also see some volunteer lettuce and potatoes from last year.

 Here I have planted Red and Gold Yukon Potatoes.

 My 9 different heirloom lettuces are beginning to grow well after the cold April we had this year.  I get mine from www.dianeseeds.com

In my last box I have planted an outside border of radishes and spinach in the inside.  I have been trying to fight off leaf miners.  If you have problems with this pest go out and mechanically remove all you can with your fingers and then spray with Neem Oil once a week until the problem has ceased. 

2 comments:

  1. I was so disappointed I couldn't come to your garden tour. did your Arp rosemary overwinter this year? Mine didn't, but we get so much wind, and there is nothing around me to act as a windbreak. Along with the extra cold temps, I'm assuming that is what did it in.

    I've read the tip about garlic around fruit trees, but don't know anyone who has done it. Have you really had good success with it? Only your peach trees or all of the fruit trees? I've also read lavender bushes around fruit trees really help with pests. Have you tried that? With baby #6 coming in a few days, this is not the time for me to be planting, but maybe later in the summer, or possibly next year.

    I have an all in one almond as well, and it had some winter kill (perhaps due to the same problems as the rosemary), but it's pruned and leafing beautifully right now. Someone had told me they thought it wasn't hardy here. I'm hoping they are wrong. We love almonds, especially since some of my kids are allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Arp didn't make it this year! So sad! Had to start over. The temps were just too cold. I have heard people growing garlic around their stone fruit trees that are prone to borer problems and have had good success with it. Lavender needs to be in full sun so I don't know how well that would work. Good luck with the baby coming soon!

    ReplyDelete